Friday, January 23, 2009

You Are Winter

It's cold and icy and I want to lay and dream and drift in and out of the forgiveness that is sleep. With the hustle of Christmas mercifully over and the excitement of inauguration day winding down, I find myself quieting. It's nice. It happens every year. Just a couple of quiet days to balance out the hilarious mayhem that is days 1 through 363.



I've been toying with the idea of picking up writing again (also an annual occurrence). I can't help but feel under qualified - what makes my thoughts so important/interesting that I could expect someone to read them and label me a "writer"? I'm fairly typical and so is my life. The writers that I fall in love with carry an air of intelligence and humour in every word they commit to paper - I would never put myself in such a lofty category. What is it that qualifies one to do what they love? Is it the mere fact that they love it? Or is there something else - something bigger and more important that turns a blog and a diary into a novel or a sermon into a soul-stirring devotional?

I don't think I'll be able to commit to writing again until I understand what it is to truly love something while devoid of the confidence needed to pursue it. I feel like I owe writing more than my "best shot". I feel like writing deserves my heart on paper - how do I do that when I can't even wear my heart on my sleeve? Maybe that's it. Maybe writing is my heart, on my sleeve, on paper. Now I wonder what that would look like ...
_

4 comments:

KiKi said...

You are a fabulous writer, always have been... and you wear your heart on your sleeve more often then you think... Writing would be so lucky to have someone like you dedicated entirely to it.

My essays would also be so lucky.. so maybe if your pondering writing, you could practice on them?! just a though! LOLZ!

Love you babe!

KiKi said...

and clearly by all the grammatical and spelling errors in my messages, I am not one who is cut out for writing....hahaha!

M.A.I said...

Hey man, don't feel bad. I apparently have a lot of people on my facebook who can't spell at all. Take these examples:

Wants = wont's
Pretty = pritty
Sure = shure
Believes = beleves
Outward = outwerd
Didn't = Dident
Nostalgic = Nestalgic
Could = Culd

This is all from one person...

Yeah Keeks,you are fine.

KiKi said...

Hahahah! Oh Lord... my favourite out of that list was "dident"
YIKES!!!