Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Education At The Library


















Andrea, Kiki and I went to see "Darfur Now" at the RPL this weekend. It was pretty amazing. I've always had a heart for Darfur, so it was awesome to see other people trying to do something for the cause. If you don't already respect Don Cheadle, George Clooney, and Governor Arnold you will after seeing this documentary. However, be prepared to despise the UN and the members of the Sudanese government who not only deny that what is occurring is genocide, they also HIRED and FUNDED (along with the US and China) the Janjaweed - the perpetrators of the atrocities in Darfur.

The documentary itself was heartbreaking and uplifting. I was enraged at the audacity of the UN, who refuses to acknowledge the genocide (props to the US for naming it so). While providing tonnes of food to refugee camps, the US makes sure to proudly mark their food bags with an American flag - that's right, make sure they know who to thank when it's all over. This display only feeds the dreams of the countless refugees who stated confidently to the cameras "The white men will come and save us. They will defend us" - we all know the truth is much more bleak. We're too busy pissing away millions of dollars and thousands of lives in Iraq - a war the US was arrogant enough to start and is now too proud to leave.

All I can say is thank God for the ending because the first hour or so was depressing. Reality usually is. But don't fret, the documentary doesn't portray Darfur as a "lost cause" but it does place the responsibility on our shoulders to take a stand for those who can't. To quote Don Cheadle "I don't know what we can do - but a lot more than nothing".

This weekend I think I might grab some friends and try and check out the Sunday double feature: "Lars and the Real Girl" (can't wait!) and "I'm Not There" (curiosity regarding a cross dressing Cate Blanchett). I'll let you know how that goes. In the mean time, start thinking of ways YOU can support the end to violence in Darfur.

More Than Wishing I Could Be In Darfur,
Jen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love you and your heart Sprink. I know that you will make a huge difference no matter where you go, and I really pray you get to Darfur some day!!
KiKi