Thursday, April 05, 2007

Well I Didn't See THAT Coming!

** That picture is of a painting called "Wednesday Morning" - I am determined to always make things fit **
So, yesterday I woke up and thought "Hmm, today feels weird. I hope I don't lose my job ..." and then I brushed it off and continued on with my day. Then, at around 3pm, my boss calls me into a meeting with her and the owner of the company. Uh oh. I had 10 minutes until the meeting started so I frantically emailed Kiki. This was our conversation (and YES, I actually copy and pasted all these emails into my blog for public viewing):

Jen: I just got called into a meeting with the bosses. I think I'm going to get fired. I'm so scared .. so scared ... oh my gosh ...

Kiki: Jen I am sure its not what you think-- maybe its just to talk about the retention program you started or something..... I am sure it will be fine.

Jen: I dunno man, I'm always getting in trouble lately.

Kiki: Jen, they still have PONCER WORKING THERE!! you won't get fired!

Jen: I guess ...

** 20 minutes later this exact email was sent **

Jen: well you were wrong. we've been taken over by another company and i've lost my job. i'm happy though - i seriously promise that i am not upset. my last day will be friday.

Kiki: WHAT? OH MY GOD...

Jen: yeah. didn't see that one coming.

And ... SCENE. Yes, wasn't that an epic retelling of real events? So, just to build on the whole thing - No, I'm not upset. I didn't want this job in the first place - I just loved the people and the money! And, I've been thinking of leaving for a while but I promised God I would stick it out until He released me. So I guess He has! Thanks Lord. An email would have been more than sufficient.

My boss cried the whole time we were talking about it and reminded me that it had nothing to do with my work ethic, that I'm a "star" and she will give me an amazing reference etc. So today, I sent my CV to a couple agencies and I already have a job lined up for next week!


What sucks: I have holidays booked for later this year that I only booked because I would have been getting paid for them ... I haven't been here long enough to get paid out for my vacation time either. Awesome.

What rocks: No more commuting an hour each day, no more call center! Also, temping is what I wanted to do in the first place and now I get to again - so I get paid weekly and don't have to stick around any ONE place. And lastly, I no longer have to worry about only taking 3 weeks of vacation! I can go on tons of trips if I have the money! Woo hoo!!

There's always a silver lining folks. Always.

More than Optimistic,
Jen

No comments: